The Tremont Avenue Church of God was organized in the fall of 1919, in a tabernacle on Parris Avenue by Emmett Doster with 26 charter members. The congregation moved to a storefront building on the corner of Green Avenue and Lady Street, and then a few years later erected a new frame building on the corner of Tremont Avenue and Lady Street.
In 1932, under the leadership of Zeno C. Tharpe, a brick church building was built on the opposite corner from the frame building.
Under the ministry of Earl P. Paulk this building was doubled in size to accommodate the growing congregation.
Printed in the Greenville newspaper:
"...rapidly expanding Church of God on Tremont Avenue, with the recently completed $25,000 addition. The small tower joins the two sections. The addition enlarged the capacity of the auditorium to 2,000 and also includes numerous Sunday school rooms and other important features."
"The pastor of the church, the Reverend Earl P. Paulk, known to the hundreds who crowd the church each Sunday as 'Preacher Paulk.' The church has grown materially since Mr. Paulk has been pastor. Now there are two large choirs, a church orchestra and crowds ranging from 1,500 to 2,000 at the Sunday night services."
In 1948, after a fire destroyed the church building, the congregation, under the leadership of Earl P. Paulk erected a brick building that was the largest church building in the Church of God denomination at that time.
Over the years God has blessed the Tremont Church of God with a host of capable pastors and pastoral staff members. God continues to honor their leadership and the ministry of the congregation, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ has impacted literally untold thousands of lives.
Below are some of Tremont's former pastors:
In early 2000, the congregation at Tremont Avenue decided to relocate the facilities to a 38-acre site on New Easley Highway/Highway 123. Under the leadership of Pastor Tim Kerns, the building project was completed and the congregation relocated to the new campus on October 31, 2004.
In December 2007, under the leadership of Pastor Tim Kerns, the Family Life Center was completed adjacent to the church sanctuary.
We give all glory and honor to God and declare "Great Things He Hath Done!" and as we contemplate
the future, it is with great anticipation and determination that we commit our efforts to...
Telling, Reaching, Equipping, Mankind, Our, New Testament, Task.